North Carolina Property Tax Solution
The North Carolina Property Tax Solution (NCPTS) is a resource available to counties to streamline and optimize all aspects of the property tax process. It is built on software developed by an innovative North Carolina-based company, Farragut, and includes many beneficial features:
- Consistent application of property tax law by NCPTS counties through best business practices
- Intuitive system based on established best practices and standards
- Automated appraisals, billing and collections allow county staff to effectively administer the property tax process
- Thorough training and maintenance support
- Collaborative nine-member Oversight Committee that serves to continuously improve NCPTS and promote best practice sharing among member counties
- Proactive consultation and legislative monitoring of tax-related developments by David Baker, NCACC Director of Tax and Revenue Outreach and former Director of the Local Government Division of NC Division of Revenue
Counties can increase property tax collections with NCPTS
Counties across the state approach property tax appraisal, billing and collections in varied ways. Some methods lead to more fair and equitable appraisals for taxpayers and higher collections rates, providing more money to fund county programs and services. For the past five fiscal years, NCPTS members have achieved collections rates 1-2% higher than those counties that do not use NCPTS. That translates to millions of dollars in revenue available to counties. The higher collection rates among NCPTS members are a testament to the efficacy of the system and consultation and support members receive.
NCPTS Oversight Committee
- Chair: Mike Taylor, Pitt County
- Billing & Collection Chair: Alan Lumpkin, Wayne County
- LR/CAMA Chair: John Burgiss, Forsyth County
- Large County: Ben Chavis, Guilford County
- Medium County: Danny Isenhour, Burke County
- Small County: Bobby Parker, Beaufort County
- At-Large: Lori Mathes, Catawba County
- At-Large: Amy Brantley, Henderson County
- At-Large: Debra Hill, Randolph County
NCPTS Core Values
- Autonomy - As NCPTS users we can do the work we need to do on our own without depending on outside support to make processes work.
- Consistency - As NCPTS users we apply NC statutes equitably and consistently to all taxpayers regardless of what county or jurisdiction their property is located in.
- Data - As NCPTS users the data we create is accurate, reliable and trusted by our stakeholders. We own our data and have the ability to access and use it as needed to better serve our stakeholders.
- Efficiency - As NCPTS users we can do what we need to do effectively with little or no unnecessary effort.
- Mastery - As NCPTS users we understand our software and can use it effectively to maximize the service we provide to our stakeholders.