Mental Health Reform
- Presentation recording: Reducing the Number of Individuals with Mental Illness in County Jails | Presentation files (from February 2015 NACo Legislative Conference)
- Presentation recording: Status of Mental Health in North Carolina (October 18, 2013)
- Workshop recording: Mental Health Reform: The Only Constant Is Change (Aug. 22, 2013)
- Courtney Cantrell: Assessing Provider Capacity, Service Gaps and Community Needs (PDF)
- NC Suicide Prevention Plan (2015)
- Bridging the Gaps in the HHS Network of Care
- NACo Stepping Up: A National Initiative to Reduce the Number of People with Mental Illnesses in Jails
- NACo research brief: Addressing Mental Illness and Medical Conditions in County Jails (September 2015)
- For consumers: NC MH/DD/SAS Crisis Services | Crisis Solutions NC Directory of Resources
- N.C. DHHS Division of Mental Health, Developmental Disabilities and Substance Abuse Services: Resources for LMEs and Governments
- LMEs/MCOs and their member counties and LME team liaisons
- 2014 NC Child Death Data, presentation by Child Fatality Task Force (Oct. 19, 2015)
- SAMHSA Comprehensive Community Mental Health Services for Children and Families 2009 Evaluation Findings (PDF)
- Psychological Distress: Chronic Disease and Health Risk Factors (June 2015)
- N.C. Council of Community MH/DD/SA Programs
- Mental health screening tools from Mental Health America
- Learn Psychology Guidebook: Suicide and Depression Awareness for Students
- Home remodeling and modifications for people with special needs
- Expertise resources on home remodeling for disability and special needs
- Mental Health First Aid resources and papers:
- History of CCNC: Evolution of Community Care of NC
- Annual Mental Health Breakfast Assembles Advocates, Service Providers and Elected Officials (NC Health News, Jan. 27, 2015)
- NAMI State Mental Health Legislation 2014: Trends, Themes and Effective Practices (December 2014)
Statutes and Select Legislation
- N.C.G.S. 122C
- S.L. 2013-85 (S208): Effective Operation of 1915(b)/(c) Waiver
- S.L. 2013-378 (H399): Amend Laws Pertaining to DHHS
- NCACC legislative goals related to mental health reform (2013 session update - scroll down to Health and Human Services)
- County advisory board established for LME/MCOs (2013 session update - scroll down to S208 summary)
- S.L. 2012-151 (S191): LME Governance
- S.L. 2011-264 (H916): Statewide Expansion of 1915(b)/(c) Waiver
The state is poised to join national trend of having a single hot line number. Additional Info...
People in remote areas have long lacked access to mental health services. The movement to fix that is showing signs of life. Additional Info...
Diverting low-level, nonviolent offenders into treatment saves millions of dollars and makes our streets safer. Additional Info...
Across the country, a critical shortage of state psychiatric beds is forcing mentally ill patients with severe symptoms to be held in emergency rooms, hospitals and jails while they wait for a bed, sometimes for weeks. Additional Info...
A new comprehensive health care center will provide 24-hour mental health and addiction urgent care, outpatient behavioral health treatment and beds for people in crisis. Additional Info...
A shift in thinking on mental health led to a dramatic drop in youth incarcerations. Additional Info...